Search
Tuesday 25 April 2017
  • :
  • :

Assad Regime Launches Chemical Attack on Syrian Civilians

Assad Regime Launches Chemical Attack on Syrian Civilians
Flickr/Naser MJD

When a regime has too much power, that power comes at a large cost of civilians. Early Tuesday morning, Syria’s regime attacked one of the country’s provinces, killing dozens of people.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s administration carried out the attack in an attempt to eliminate rebels who resided in the Idlib Province. The government’s military used a toxic chemical bomb that left at least 86 people dead, including 30 children. Experts believe the bomb contained a nerve agent or something similar, as adults and children died after choking, gasping for air and foaming from their mouths.

Witnesses claim this is one of the worst chemical bombs in the six-year Syrian civil war. While medics and rescue workers attempted helping victims, air strikes targeted surrounding clinics, destroying them. Despite this, people continued helping victims, stripping them of chemical-soaked clothes and running water over them.

The Assad regime denies responsibility. However, officials claim that there was no other group able to carry out such an attack. Chemical weapons became unavailable to the Syrian people almost four years ago.

The UN takes action against al-Assad

Since the attack, the United Nations has held multiple emergency meetings. During one of the emergency meetings, the U.S., France and Britain demanded a full investigation. Additionally, they demanded Syria fully cooperates with the investigation and provides all necessary information. However, Russia did not approve the proposal, as President Vladimir Putin and al-Assad are strong allies.

Although UN officials do not have a set plan, the United States promised that there will be repercussions for the attack. U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley said the world is responsible for holding the regime accountable, and without action, more problems will occur.

“If we are not prepared to act, then this council will keep meeting month after month to express outrage,” Haley explained. “We will see more conflict in Syria. We will see more pictures that we can never unsee.”

Despite U.S. President Donald Trump saying last week that the Syrian conflict is not a U.S. priority, his response changed Tuesday. After seeing footage from the chemical bomb, President Trump said it “had a big impact” on his perspective. The U.S. government has not provided any details about military action, but Trump said something will be done.



I’m just a small-town girl in a journalist’s world, waking up bright and early every morning to find the best news to read, the most interesting stories to report, and the best coffees to submerge in.


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates...

You have Successfully Subscribed!

News On The Run