Those trying to enjoy a night out in Cincinnati last night faced a terrifying experience.
At a crowded hip-hop nightclub, a dispute transformed into a fatal shooting, leaving one dead and 14 injured. The shots began around 1 a.m. Sunday morning at Cameo Night Club, stemming from one suspect.
Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black said police believe that the attack originated from an argument that happened earlier in the day. Though they do not have anyone in custody, they are interviewing witnesses of the tragic event.
“The conflict is believed to have begun between specific groups or individuals earlier in the day,” he explained. “Escalating and ultimately leading to this tragedy occurring at the nightclub.”
Currently, the shooter only killed one person in the attack, 27-year-old O’Bryan Spikes. Several other victims are going through surgery and recovery from life-threatening injuries.
While Cameo hired four police officers—two at the club’s entrance and two in the parking lot—for security, it did not stop the shooting. One witness said that the club’s DJ was requesting security for almost 10 minutes before he heard 20 shots fired.
Cincinnati Police Department Capt. Kimberly Williams described the scene as chaotic.
“People [were] just trying to get out of harm’s way,” Williams said.
Worst shooting in U.S. this year
Officials report that this constitutes as the worst mass shooting, regarding the number of victims, in 2017. So far, there are 71 shootings in the U.S. this year.
Just in Cincinnati, people have carried out nine mass shootings since 2013. Prior to last night’s shooting, the most recent attack was Feb. 28, when someone shot six people at an apartment building.
Ohio’s Gov. John Kasich said they he instructed his administration to provide any assistance possible to Cincinnati’s civilians and officials.
“Saddened to learn about last night’s shooting in Cincinnati,” he tweeted. “Our prayers are with the victims and families of all those involved.”