Game of Thrones is one of the best TV series of all-time. Depending on how season eight goes, it might deserve to sit on the Iron Throne as the best TV show of all-time. Regardless if it is the best show ever, it definitely has some of the best episodes of TV ever.
Currently, there are 67 Game of Thrones episodes and by its end, there will be 73 episodes. Game of Thrones deserves more than just a top ten. In fact, I would argue that half of its episodes are great episodes of TV.
Game of Thrones is too phenomenal and there’s not 100 or 200 episodes of it, so a list of more than 10 episodes seems fair. Also, there’s usually been 10 episodes in a season, so that’s another reason why I feel like my list should feature more than just 10 episodes.
My list has my top 15 episodes of Game of Thrones. When Game of Thrones ends, 15 episodes will be about 20 percent (one fifth) of the series. So my list recognizes the top fifth of Game of Thrones.
Before I reveal my list, for Game of Thrones, there are requirements for a great episode. Usually a great episode of Game of Thrones features death(s), betrayal(s), shock(s), twist(s), some type of action, meaningful character development and/or a key moment that affects the entire series.
One of the best elements of Game of Thrones is its multiple storyline, so I feel like a great episode can’t have a weak storyline in it nor can it be great just because it has one huge moment. I prefer to enjoy every minute of the episode and not feel like I’m waiting for something to happen.
My list is not in order of quality, for I haven’t decided on all the specific spots yet. I will reveal my favorite episode though and instead my list in chronological order. With just one season left, here our mine top 15 Game of Thrones episodes.
- “You Win or You Die” (season 1, episode 7)
- “Baelor” (season 1, episode 9)
- “Blackwater” (season 2, episode 9)
- “Valar Morghulis” (season 2, episode 10)
- “Kissed by Fire” (season 3, episode 5)
- “The Rains of Castamere” (season 3, episode 9)
- “The Lion and the Rose” (season 4, episode 2)
- “The Mountain and the Viper (season 4, episode 8)
- “The Watchers on the Wall (season 4, episode 9)
- “The Children” (season 4, episode 10)
- “Mother’s Mercy” (season 5, episode 10)
- “The Door” (season 6, episode 5)
- “Battle of the Bastards” (season 6, episode 9)
- “The Winds of Winter” (season 6, episode 10)
- “The Dragon and the Wolf” (season 7, episode 7)
I’m sure you’ve noticed “Hardhome” isn’t on this list. Yes, the Hardhome action stuff is amazing and this episode also has Daenerys meeting with Tyrion and Cersei drinking water from the floor. However, the other stuff in this amazing wasn’t amazing to me. “Hardhome” would be in my top 20 though.
My favorite Game of Thrones episode though is “The Door.” I enjoy every minute of this episode and every storyline. There’s Arya watching a theatrical play about Game of Thrones and Varys getting creepied out by a red priestess. And of course, there’s the ending of the episode which ends with Hodor dying. “HOLD THE DOOR, HODOR!” It’s tragic.
These 15 episodes would survive winter.