Search
Monday 20 November 2017
  • :
  • :

“House of Cards” ending following Kevin Spacey scandal

“House of Cards” ending following Kevin Spacey scandal

As of Monday, Netflix confirmed that “House of Cards” will be ending with their sixth season, which is currently in production. The decision has come around in wake of allegations that the series’ star Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted Anthony Rapp when he was only 14 years old in 1986. Netflix denies the allegations and the cancellation of the show are related.

In an interview with Buzzfeed News, Rapp talked about this alleged encounter with Spacey. Spacey allegedly befriended Rapp when they both starred in different Broadway shows. Spacey allegedly invited Rapp over for a party at his apartment and at the end of the night, picked Rapp up, put him on Spacey’s bed and made a sexual advance towards him. According to public records, Spacey was 26 at the time and Rapp was 14.

To answer the question on why Rapp hasn’t spoken out earlier, Spacey has just always been on the rise. Through the 1990s and 2000s, Spacey received a Tony Award, two Oscars, the role of creative director at The Vic for a decade. He’s also been the star of the successful show, “House of Cards.”

“My stomach churns,” Rapp told Buzzfeed News about seeing Spacey. “I still to this day can’t wrap my head around so many aspects of it. It’s just deeply confusing to me.”

Rapp, now 46 years old, is astonished by the reaction he still has to Spacey. According to Rapp, Spacey’s reps have not answered Rapp’s phone calls, emails and even a letter written to them about the allegations. However, after the Buzzfeed News story broke, Spacey responded on Twitter.

“I’m beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember this encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” part of Spacey’s message read on Twitter.

Hollywood is seeing lots of serious allegations thrown around as of late. Rapp told Buzzfeed News that the recent outbreak of allegations around some of Hollywood’s finest inspired him to come forward.

“And not to simply air a grievance,” he said, “but to try to shine another light on the decades of behavior that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent…I’m feeling really awake to the moment that we’re living in, and I’m hopeful that this can make a difference.”

Regarding “House of Cards,” Netflix has confirmed its end. The streaming giant is also in the early process of talking about a spinoff series.

As Rapp’s allegations came to light, Netflix and the show’s producers, Media Rights Capital, released a joint statement:

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

It is unclear whether Spacey will still be involved in the show’s final season or the spinoff, but it is clear Netflix is still interested in the show’s universe.

Netflix was also set to have Spacey set in an original film, “Gore.” Nothing has been stated concerning Spacey’s continuing involvement.

“House of Cards” is expected to debut in mid-2018 with its final season only on Netflix.

 

Featured image via Wikimedia Commons



Hello! My name is Zoe Garden. I am a big reader and will read anything pop culture, world related or the new popular fictional book. I love anything and everything about Pop Culture and can always fill you in about what is currently being talked about.


SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Thanks for signing up.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.
Don't miss out. Subscribe today.
×
×
News On The Run